William Phillips / Matthew Graham In2Racing McLaren 570S GT4

There was no further British GT podium glory for Matty in Sunday’s final round of 2017, as a first lap clash destroyed the race of his number 14 In2Racing McLaren 570S’ race.

A high attrition rate and determination did allow for a ninth in GT4 to be salvaged, but it was ultimately a low-key end to the year for the North Eastern driver.

Rejoining the Stratford-upon-Avon based team for the “Donington Decider” and pairing with former Macmillan Racing driver Will Phillips, Matty was hopeful of adding more silverware to his collection, with the duo between them having won the last three races in British GT’s GT4 category.

Following a solid Saturday, where the number 14 car out qualified its stablemate for the first time and Phillips acclimatised to his new car, the pair lined up ninth on the grid for Sunday’s two-hour test.

Having made an excellent start and making up three places with Phillips driving, the number 14′s day was spoiled when it was hit by the Garage 59 entry of Akhil Rabindra at the Melbourne hairpin.

Clumsily hitting the In2Racing entry on its right rear wheel, contact deflated the tyre, spun the car around and forced an unscheduled pit stop during which it was lapped by the rest of the field.

Back underway, it soon became apparent that the number 14 was now nursing handling issues that further compromised its performance.

Taking the wheel with 48 minutes remaining, Matty was two laps down and set for a lonely afternoon out on his own, though advancement through the field was being provided thanks to dramas for other teams.

With the only real barometer to measure this sort of race being a driver’s pace, Matty knuckled down and started to dial himself into how the McLaren 570S was performing before starting to pump in some competitive times.

Once comfortable he turned up the wick, repeatedly posting improved lap times for the car and setting its ultimate best on lap 60 with a 1:38.228.

Having wrestled the car to the end of the race, the Melbourne hairpin was the scene for further drama on the final lap, when the wheel assembly of that had been hit at the start broke, pitching Matty into another spin.

Fortunately, the proximity to the finish line allowed the 21-year-old to take the chequered flag after crabbing his way through the final couple of hundred meters and round out the season.